Thursday 26 May 2016

I Login To My Account

Never mind my fluffiest pet, my mother's home town, or the maiden name which makes me think of my favourite word: the answer to my secret question is, "I've forgotten my password".


I have a stash of regularly used means of logging in, some of them weak, some moderate and some achieving a strong rating. It's like Lord Harlech is in my computer, issuing British Board of Password Censors certificates to my latest inventions, and occasionally awarding me a Certificate 18.


There's some sort of formula governing passwords.  It goes something like: the complexity of the word / number / capital letter / (no symbol) combo is inversely proportional to the frequency with which the account is logged into.  I think it's that way around.


What I mean is, that if it's a website I use rarely, I make the password increasingly complicated in desperate reinventions of what seemed like a good idea at the time. (My electricity account - really?  I'm expected to check this regularly enough to remember the number I attributed to the mismatch of the middle names of my pet rabbits from 1973?).


There's a problem.  Those sites I log-in-to  log into  login to ... into which I log frequently end up having the least secure passwords.  The sites which make me most vulnerable, and which need most security, in fact.  You know the ones I mean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment